LL-L "Names" 2011.07.03 (02) [DE-EN-NDS]

Mon Jul 4 02:09:19 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 03 July 2011 - Volume 02
 Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mark and Ruth Dreyer mrdreyer at lantic.net
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.07.02 (03) [EN]

From: "dealangeam" <atdelange at iburst.co.za>
Beste Henry:

Subject: LL-L "Names"

This string is getting creepy...

Ron wrote:
I don't know exactly about Middle Saxon, but the modern name "Matthias" is
stressed on the second syllable and I don't see why this shouldn't have been
the case with the precursor of the "Thies" variant.

Closely related is the name "Theis" which also occurs in the north of
Germany and goes back to "Tewes" and (at least that's what I think)
"Matthäus".

Henry wrote:
How about Tiwaz?

Henry, you make my hair stand up. Should I go & slaughter a black cock in
the coppice out back, or walk lightly by?

Yes, could it be that a common name out of our pagan past lived on, from one
evocating the name of Tiw to an abbreviation for MatThew?

Here in S. Africa the name can be stand-alone as Thuys, the diphthong being
an upper vocal glide forward that the English just can't do. The Matthew in
the Gospels is written Mattèüs, the accent on the second syllable, the vowel
group consisting of two vowels, high-forward followed by schwa-rounded.

"Mattèüs" to "-Thuys": One can see that if the first is an abbreviation of
the second, then the two have parted & gone their separate way for an age.

Yrs,

Mark

----------

From: Hannelore Hinz <hannehinz at t-online.de>

Viellicht kann ick helpen...

Matthias* hier wüür ick ok de tweite Silbe betonen.
Matthias [hebr. Geschenk Jahwes (Gottes)]
 Nebenform (en): Matthäus;
Kurzformen: Tees von Matthäus, Theis von Matthias, nich begäng is Tewes ?
 Engl. Matthew;
frz. Matthieu;
 ital. Matteo;
finn. Matti

(Lit.: DAS KLEINE VORNAMENBUCH (Bibliographisches Institut Leipzig . 1984)

*Im Neuen Testament ist Matthias der Name des Apostels, der durch das Los
dazu bestimmt wurde, Judas Ischariot zu ersetzen.

Oewer mi dücht, dat giwwt womoeglich noch anner Verkloren.

 De Sommer hett uns hier all wedder verlaten... un wier so schön...

 Hanne

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com