LL-L "Lexicon" 2011.07.07 (04) [EN-NDS]

Fri Jul 8 01:52:55 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 07 July 2011 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hellinckx Luc luc.hellinckx at gmail.com
 Subject: LL-L "Lexicon"

Beste Mark,

You wrote:

I was thinking recently about how we US Americans refer to someone dying as
passing away. We’ll say it instead of saying he died. Sometimes the speaker
will even lower the voice when uttering the words “passed away.”

I began to wonder if this might be a Lowlands thing. Do Lowlands languages
use an equivalent of passed away? What other euphemisms do Lowlands
languages use for dying?

Note the similarity between "to pass away" and French "trépasser" (~ to
trespass), for "to die".

Dutch has a similar verb, "overlijden". It litterally means "to go over...to
the other world, the netherworld" (like "he's gone"). The old meaning of
"lijden" is "to go", for example:

   - verleden (D) = the past, referring to things that have gone
   - "oët de laëd", said when you are making a detour in Brabantish, you are
   actually going out of the "lijd", going out of your way

Another Dutch word built on the idea of "leaving the main road", is
"uitvaart" (false friend Ausfahrt in German, exit on a motorway), but
meaning "funeral" in Dutch. Less formal, in colloquial speech, one could
also say in Brabantish:

   - a es 't er aan
   - a es kapot
   - 't es 't er mee gedaan