LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.07.08 (01) [EN]

Fri Jul 8 19:43:29 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 08 July 2011 - Volume 017
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <roerd096 at PLANET.NL>
 Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.07.07 (07) [EN]

Hi. Thanks, Rein, I don't even know how long ago it was I sent my last
message here, over four years maybe? And even longer that I was an active
member of this list, I suppose most people don't even remember my name...

Yes, aren't these Surinamese Inland people just absolutely great? And I find
their accent in Dutch probably the sweetest there is.

I wonder whether the Surinamese accent makes Dutch easier or harder to
understand for others, e.g. for Belgians/Flemish, South Africans and Dutch
language students.
How does this accent sound in your ears?

Ingmar

From: R. F. Hahn <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Language varieties

Hi, Ingmar!

It's really great to hear from you again. And thanks for the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kQP_iecwMA&feature=related

Here is the first video in the series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut4608jw6Gs&feature=related

I really enjoyed the videos, found them very interesting and understood
those people's Dutch almost perfectly.

Thanks for sharing it!

Seattle, USA

P.S.: Still hoping to get Wren translations in language varieties of
Suriname and elsewhere.
http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Hi, Ingmar!

I found it charming.

Seattle, USA

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <roerd096 at PLANET.NL>
 Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2011.06.04 (02) [EN]

Hi James, Paul e.a.
As you see I'm a maybe still member of this list ;-) but not an active one
anymore for ages. By coincidence I just took a look of triplll a few days
ago, and now I read that Middelsprake was recently mentioned here. For the
people that don't have a clue about MS, read the description here below:

Middelspraak (kort: MS) is een kunstlig maked spraak dat is basered up de
wichtigest levend Germanisch sprake. De grammatika is simpel on regelmatig,
wat make dat licht to lerne. Man kan forgelike Middelspraak mid Interlingua,
de kunstlig spraak basered up Latin/Romanisch, in dat for de meest sprekers
af een oller meer Germanisch sprake, mennig af een MS tekst schal wese
forstaan direkt, uter enig to lerne fyrst. De levend Germanisch sprake, uter
Engelisch, have rund 170 miljon sprekers.
For Engelisch sprekers MS is okso mennig lichter to lerne dan, saege,
Duetisch, Nederlandisch oller Swedisch.
MS have een regelmatig spelling, aleen regelmatig wirk-worde, aleen een enig
kyn on een enig fal, regelmatig meertal on kenne nik een "umlaut".
Du kan finde uut meer af de spraak's grammatika, wordschat, tekste,
luud-dokuments etc. in de "Files" afdeling.
Middelspraak is een af de variants af Folkspraak
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Middelsprake/

Middelsprake (abbreviation MS, "Middelspraak" in the language itself) is a
constructed language based on the main living Germanic languages. Its
grammar is simple and regular which makes it easy to learn. Middelsprake can
be compared with Interlingua, the Latin/Romance conlang in that for most
speakers of one or several Germanic languages, much of a MS text will be
understood readily without any previous learning. The modern Germanic
languages, apart from English, have about 170 million speakers. For English
speakers MS is also much easier to learn than say German, Dutch or Swedish.
It has a regular orthography, only regular verbs, just one gender and one
grammatical case, regular plural and no umlaut.
You can find out more about the language's grammar, vocabulary, texts, sound
files etc. in the Files section, above left.
Middelsprake is one of the varieties of Folkspraak
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Middelsprake/

Ingmar Roerdinkholder

From: James Ward jamesward at earthlink.net
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2011.06.03 (01) [EN-NDs]

Paul Finlow-Bates wrote:

> There's a northern, pan-Germanic equivalent called Middelsprake. Ingmar
Roerdinkholder, formerly (and maybe still) of this list, sent me an outline
course in it afew years ago.  He used to post in it from time to time as
well.  Fairly easy to follow if you know some English, German, Dutch and
maybe a bit of a Scandinavian language.

I had a look at this -- it seems fun!  And it doesn't have to carry the
weight of hopes for world peace :)  (Maybe if we could make hoping for world
peace fun, we'd really be getting somewhere!)

With best wishes as I sign off for a two-week vacation --

James Ward

 listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com