LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.07.08 (04) [EN]

Fri Jul 8 21:08:01 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 08 July 2011 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

 From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <roerd096 at PLANET.NL>
 Subject: Re: LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.07.08 (01) [EN]

Yes, the Dutch language in their mouth is so much more charming than the
European version... and so are the speakers.

Btw Dutch isn't the native language of the "Bush Negroes", their own
languages are creoles, but as with the people in the movie who look
completely African, so does their language, no-one would think it has an
English and Portuguese based vocabulary when you look at it:

http://www.sil.org/americas/suriname/Saramaccan/English/SaramEngDictIndex.html

From: R. F. Hahn <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Language varieties

Hi, Ingmar!

I found it charming.

Seattle, USA

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.07.07 (07) [EN]

Hi. Thanks, Rein, I don't even know how long ago it was I sent my last
message here, over four years maybe? And even longer that I was an active
member of this list, I suppose most people don't even remember my name...

Yes, aren't these Surinamese Inland people just absolutely great? And I find
their accent in Dutch probably the sweetest there is.

I wonder whether the Surinamese accent makes Dutch easier or harder to
understand for others, e.g. for Belgians/Flemish, South Africans and Dutch
language students.
How does this accent sound in your ears?

Ingmar

From: R. F. Hahn <[log in to unmask]>

Hi, Ingmar!

It's really great to hear from you again. And thanks for the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kQP_iecwMA&feature=related

Here is the first video in the series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut4608jw6Gs&feature=related

I really enjoyed the videos, found them very interesting and understood
those people's Dutch almost perfectly.

Thanks for sharing it!

Seattle, USA

P.S.: Still hoping to get Wren translations in language varieties of
Suriname and elsewhere.
http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/

 listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com