LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.07.08 (07) [EN]

Sat Jul 9 04:15:55 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 08 July 2011 - Volume 07
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

 From: Pat Barrett pbarrett at cox.net
 Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.07.08 (04) [EN]

As I recall, these maroon (escaped slaves) communities were peopled
principally by Ashanti people of the Akan culture group in today's Ghana.
Their language was Twi (I ran into a couple of Twi speakers at the gym a few
weeks ago).

In order to check this before sending it, I googled Bush Negroes and found
nothing about the origin of these people other than "West Africa". The Akan
culture is distinctive and Akan music can be easily distinguished from other
West African traditions. The reason I'm saying all this is to indicate the
failure of "the google" to give us essentials. It's as if Afrikaans speakers
were to be described with no reference to their Dutch origins.

Just to get a taste of how disjointed all this "information" is, note the
various origins given for the word "maroon".

Thanks for introducing us to these wonderful clips.
I'll pass them on to the Ashanti boys at the gym; they will be amazed.
Decades ago I did the same for a Yoruba friend who could not believe the
Cuban recordings in his language e.g. Babalu Aye.
Pat Barrett pbarrett at cox.net
http://ideas.lang-learn.us/barrett.php

 listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com