LL-L "Lexicon" 2011.07.08 (08) [EN]

Sat Jul 9 05:05:35 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 08 July 2011 - Volume 08
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

 From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net
 Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2011.07.08 (06) [EN]

In fact, the phrase “kick the bucket” is so readily understood in English
that in the film “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World,” Jimmy Durante’s
character literally kicks a bucket as he dies early in the movie, which
humorously drives home the point that he has just died.

Other common expressions in English that indicate someone is dead/has died:

Bit the dust

Bought the farm

Passed on

Passed

Shuffled off this mortal coil

Pushing up daisies

Gone to meet his/her maker

Was called home

Breathed his last

No longer with us/no longer among the living

Gave up the ghost

Parted this life

Sleeping with the fishes (usually used to indicate that the person was
killed by being thrown in deep water while bound and weighted down)

Kevin Caldwell

Laurel, MD