LL-L "Lexicon" 2011.07.09 (01) [EN-SCO]

Sat Jul 9 14:42:49 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 09 July 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

 From: Paul Finlow-Bates wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk
 Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2011.07.08 (08) [EN]

Listen to the Monty Python "Dead Parrot" sketch to hear John Cleese deliver
a string of euphemisms for dying!

Paul

----------

From: M.-L. Lessing marless at gmx.de

Hello all,

among the colloquial German terms for "to die" i missed "ins Gras beißen"
(or did it escape me?). Moreover a friend of mine says "verblichen"
("verbleichen" = "to go pale") when somebody has died: "Er ist letzte Woche
verblichen." But this is very rare; she does so to indicate that the person
is *not *dead, because she believes in transmigration of souls. -- Very old
people sometimes use "verblichen" like an adjective: "Ich habe Ihren
verblichenen Vater sehr geschätzt." But I never heard "verbleichen" used in
active form ("Sie verbleicht gerade").

Hartlich

Marlou