LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.07.09 (02) [AF-EN]

Sat Jul 9 14:48:08 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 09 July 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

 From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <roerd096 at PLANET.NL>
 Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.07.08 (07) [EN]

Than you'd best also show them this clip: traditional dancing of the
Maroons. Africans will find the similarities in dances maybe just as
important than those in languages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXjpQNNh9_o&feature=related

Btw the West African slaves transported to Surinam came from:

13,5% from Gambia to Eastern Ivory Coast (so Gambia, S Senegal, Guinea
Bissau, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, IC)
18,5% from the Eastern Ivory Coast and Ghana.
37 %   from Togo to Gabon (Togo, Benin, Nigeria, Cameroon, Equitorial
Guinea, Gabon)
31 %   from Congo and Angola (Congo Brazzaville, DRC, Angola), these slaves
were called "Loandas" and had a bad name

Slaves from those four macroregions had contacts and friendships mostly in
their own group and were often hostile towards people from other groups.

The people in the clips I sent the other day reminded me the most of
Congolese people

From: Pat Barrett pbarrett at cox.net
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.07.08 (04) [EN]

As I recall, these maroon (escaped slaves) communities were peopled
principally by Ashanti people of the Akan culture group in today's Ghana.
Their language was Twi (I ran into a couple of Twi speakers at the gym a few
weeks ago).

In order to check this before sending it, I googled Bush Negroes and found
nothing about the origin of these people other than "West Africa". The Akan
culture is distinctive and Akan music can be easily distinguished from other
West African traditions. The reason I'm saying all this is to indicate the
failure of "the google" to give us essentials. It's as if Afrikaans speakers
were to be described with no reference to their Dutch origins.

Just to get a taste of how disjointed all this "information" is, note the
various origins given for the word "maroon".

Thanks for introducing us to these wonderful clips.
I'll pass them on to the Ashanti boys at the gym; they will be amazed.
Decades ago I did the same for a Yoruba friend who could not believe the
Cuban recordings in his language e.g. Babalu Aye.
Pat Barrett pbarrett at cox.net
http://ideas.lang-learn.us/barrett.php

----------

From: M.-L. Lessing marless at gmx.de
 Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.07.08 (01) [EN]

Hello Ingmar, now don't you fancy that so sounding a name like your's, so
full of character, could be easily forgot! (Character, not characters!)
:-)))

I like that Surinam Dutch and seem to understand it better than European
Dutch. The videos gave me an "Aha-Erlebnis", because I have a Dutch friend
who is a native of Surinam, and I always thought her Dutch more clear that
that of other Dutch speakers and even her German less accent-ridden,
although I only rarely see her (only when she visits the Evangelische
Kirchentag in Germany, and that is rare, because she depends on a
wheelchair, so we only write letters, old fashioned paper letters). Thank
you for the links!

Marlou

From: Paul Finlow-Bates wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk

Hi Ingmar,

I certainly remember you! In fact I brought your name up a few weeks ago in
connection with the Middelsprake language (I still have the link you
posted).

Paul
Derby
England