LL-L "Phonology" 2011.07.23 (01) [EN]

Sat Jul 23 20:56:25 UTC 2011

  L O W L A N D S - L - 23 July 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <roerd096 at PLANET.NL>
Subject: Phonology

Dear Lowlanders,

are you familiar with the so-called ingressive sounds? For instance in Low
Saxon varieties in the Northern provinces of the Netherlands (Groningen,
Drenthe, Friesland's Stellingwerven) there is a special way of pronouncing
the word Ja, by breathing it in. I just found out this phenomenon has a
name, ingressive sound, and that it exists in other languages as well. They
seem to be spoken mostly in Northern parts of the world, like Scandinavia,
Low Saxon parts of Germany and Netherlands, Scotland, Canada, Maine...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulmonic_ingressive#Distribution

I, being born in a Low Saxon area of the Eastern Netherlands where this
ingressive Ja is hardly used, found it a bit strange, even annoying, when I
heard it after moving to a Low Saxon speaking area in the North.

I'm curious which languages and dialects have or don't have this introvert
way of speaking.

Ingmar

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Ingmar,

Ingressives of that type, especially *Ja*, *Jap* and so forth, are common in
North Saxon and North German dialects. It seems to have a semantic value,
perhaps something like mildly agreeing.

Ingressive sounds are used in certain African and South Asian languages.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com