LL-L "Phonology" 2011.07.23 (02) [EN]

Sun Jul 24 00:26:02 UTC 2011

  L O W L A N D S - L - 23 July 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Wolfram Antepohl wolfram at antepohl.se
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2011.07.23 (01) [EN]

An ingressive "ja" (how would you actually write that?) Is very common in
several Swedish Dialects, especially in Norrland and Småland. I have
aatually adapted to using it - it can make your speech very effective as you
can omit the pauses that otherwise occur when you breathe in ... ;-)
Never came across this habit i my native area in the Sauerland part of
Westphalia.

Greetings

Wolfram

 --
Wolfram Antepohl
Lindesbergsgatan 4
wolfram at antepohl.se

----------

From: Pat Barrett pbarrett at cox.net

The ingressives of West African languages are relatively easy to make: you
close your lips, drop your adam's apple, making a vacuum inside your mouth,
then open your lips and the air rushes in, giving the ingressive b.
Pat Barrett pbarrett at cox.net
http://ideas.lang-learn.us/barrett.php

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingressive_sound):
Inhaled Affirmative "Yeah"

Several languages include an affirmative "yeah", "yah", "yuh" or "yes" made
with inhaled breath which sounds something like a gasp. This is an example
of a pulmonic ingressive. This feature is found in:

   - Dialects of English
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language>spoken in
   Newfoundland <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newfoundland_and_Labrador> and
   the Canadian Maritimes <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritimes>.

   - Dialects of English spoken in the state of
Maine<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine>.
   The word is often transcribed as "ayup" and people attempting to
imitate Maine
   dialect <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_accent> rarely use the
   ingressive form. It is missing in most Maine-dialect TV and
Hollywood<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_the_United_States>productions.

   - Hiberno-English <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno-English>
and Highland
   English <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_English>[1]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingressive_sound#cite_note-0>,
   typically used to express agreement and show attentiveness in a phone
   conversation, for example.

   - In Faroese <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faroese_language> entire
   phrases are sometimes produced ingressively, as is also the case in
   Icelandic <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_language>.

   - In Danish <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_language>,
Norwegian<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_language>and
   Swedish <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_language> words like "ja"
   (yes), "nei" (no) etc. are often pronounced with inhaled breath, which can
   be confusing to foreigners. The main function of inhaled speech seems to be
   paralinguistic, showing e.g., agreement with a statement and to encourage a
   speaker to continue on.[*citation
needed<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed>
   *] It is consequently also typical of dialogue.

   - In Northern German dialects
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_German>an affirmative "ja" (yes) is
often pronounced ingressively, especially in
   dialogue.

   - In Khalkha Mongolian
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_language>the words
   *тийм* [tʰiːm] ("that/[yes]"), *үгүй* [ʊɡʊi] ("no"), and *мэдэхгүй*
   [mɛdɛx-ɡʊi] know.inf-neg ("[I] don't know") are often pronounced in daily
   conversation with pulmonic ingressive airflow.

   - In Ewe <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewe_language> and other
Togolese<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Togo>languages.

   - In Austronesian languages such as Tagalog [opo] and more forcefully in
   Waray Waray and softer in Borongan (Samar Province) [uhuh] or
[ohoh]usually spelled in these countries
   *oo* and possibly stronger in Oras, Artache, Dolores(all in Samar). The
   sound is almost guttural and the aspirant is inhaled, not exhaled air. Thus,
   for an English speaker exhaling this response, the exhaled sound is not
   understood by native Samar speakers. The American English trouble expression
   of 'Uh Oh' does not remotely approximate this sound. Eastern, Western and
   Northern Samar have different accents in the same dialect, and should be
   studied further to explore this phoneme group.

On that page there is a sound file of Norwegian* ja* (yes) with and without
ingression.

Note mention "North German dialects" above. I believe we are dealing with a
Low Saxon substratum feature that survives in certain North German dialects.
Might it be an areal feature that spread through contacts with Scandinavian
and Baltic languages?

Some time ago we discussed this, and there was mention of ingression being
found in Finnish, more in women's speech than in men's speech.

There is an informative web presentation on the topic:
http://ingressivespeech.info/

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com