LL-L "Language politics" 2011.06.03 (01) [EN-NDs]

Fri Jun 3 20:12:45 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 03 June 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Paul Finlow-Bates wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk
 Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2011.06.02 (04) [EN]

From: James Ward
jamesward at earthlink.net<http://uk.mc286.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=mike.keach@gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2011.06.01 (04) [EN]

I have a wistful fondness for Esperanto.  It still has a lot going for it!
 :)

There's a northern, pan-Germanic equivalent called *Middelsprake*. Ingmar
Roerdinkholder, formerly (and maybe still) of this list, sent me an outline
course in it afew years ago.  He used to post in it from time to time as
well.  Fairly easy to follow if you know some English, German, Dutch and
maybe a bit of a Scandinavian language.

Paul
Derby
England

----------

From: Brooks, Mark mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us
 Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2011.06.02 (01) [EN]

Luc Hellinckx wrote: I wonder what other diseases can be kept at bay, if
you're multilingual ;=)

My daughter sent me that article, and I said I wish bilingualism would
prevent me from getting killed in a car wreck ;-). It might in a country
with several languages and traffic signs in just one. But, where I live
(Texas), it doesn’t help.

Mark Brooks