LL-L "Culture" 2011.06.20 (02) [EN]

Mon Jun 20 17:16:26 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 20 June 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: list at marcusbuck.org
Subject: LL-L "Culture" 2011.06.19 (01) [EN]
From: Paul Finlow-Bates wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk

> Subject: LL-L "Culture" 2011.06.18 (01) [EN-NL]

 And this is what passes for "debate" in that quarter of politics: If you
> suggest that crowded countries like England or Holland should not be
> expected to take large numbers of people; if you suggest that Islamic or
> other communities should not be exempt from national laws or be free to
> impose their own, then obviously what you really want is to re-open Belsen
> and fire up the ovens.

"Crowdedness" is not really a good argument in that discussion. The German
Reich originally had 62 million inhabitants on 540,000 km². Hitler thought
that that was too crowded and the Germans needed new "Lebensraum" in the
east. He lost his war for Lebensraum, Stalin took away much of the eastern
territories and the Germans moved westwards. In the Bundesrepublik we now
have 82 million people on 357,000 km². And currently one of the biggest
fears of the Germans is that Germany becomes underpopulated due to low birth
rates.

Singapur is ethnically diverse and has a population density of 6558 per km²
and is still a stable country.

"Crowdedness" is subjective and mostly just a strawman argument for other
interests.

Marcus Buck

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com