LL-L "Grammar" 2011.03.07 (02) [EN]

Mon Mar 7 22:44:43 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 28 February 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
============================== =======================

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Memorization" 2011.03.07 (01) [EN]

Ron asked: “Why do people insist on using this structure? Is it to emphasize
the number? What are your opinions on this?”

I think it emphasizes the fact that the items are of one class of things
(cake, language), but they are different. At least that’s how I understand
it as a native speaker. I could easily say, “She baked three cakes,” and of
course the cakes are different. But, when I add “different” I’m emphasizing
that they aren’t the same. For example, I can imagine saying, “She baked
three different chocolate cakes.” By that I would mean, they’re all
chocolate, but different kinds of chocolate. I don’t feel that it’s
emphasizing the number, but rather the difference.

Mark Brooks

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Grammar

Thanks, Mark. Good point.

But what about the now frequent colloquial use of “different” where it is
redundant?

* There are four different languages in Switzerland.

* I spoke with him on five different occasions.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com