LL-L "Grammar" 2011.03.07 (03) [EN]

Mon Mar 7 22:55:52 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 28 February 2011 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
============================== =======================

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Memorization"

Beste Ron,

You wrote:

Why do people insist on using this structure? Is it to emphasize the number?
What are your opinions on this?

People use fuzzy logic I think. Four different languages, like in the case
of Switzerland, means those languages are very different, not dialects of
one and the same "Dachsprache", not mutually intelligible either. Strictly
speaking, every language is indeed different from any other one, but some
people try to think "positive, forgiving and inclusive", as long as the
difference is not that big. Say, on a local level, Estuary English is indeed
different from Kentish, but on a higher level, viewed from a distance, they
may be perceived as one, both just being termed, "English".

Is this structure used in other Lowlands languages?

Definitely. Brabantish has "tefrent" (< different (F)) and "verschië,
verschillige" for "verscheidene, verschillende" (D).

I think it makes sense to wonder if anything at all can ever be fully equal
to anything else. At least one property will always differ I think. If two
objects look perfectly alike, they will still occupy a different place,
making their location different. Even if they occupy the same space (bit
hard to imagine in plain 3D), their history may be different. One way or
another, there is always a minor difference. Following that line of thought,
you could dump the word "different" altogether, only using the term "same",
if you want to describe that two objects have a certain feature in common. I
doubt whether the human mind would be comfortable with that minimalist
approach though.

There seem to be two tendencies that sort of contradict each other: a call
for diversity on the one hand (languages, species), and an urge for purism
on the other. Makes me think of an article I read last week:

Te veel keus maakt singles eenzaam - Wetenschap - Nieuws -
Knack.be<http://knack.rnews.be/nl/actualiteit/nieuws/wetenschap/te-veel-keus-maakt-singles-eenzaam/article-1194961588528.htm>

Given a limited amount of time, singles had the opportunity to find a date
(so called speeddating). The result was that those that were given a huge
number of potential partners ultimately found far fewer dates than those
that had received but few. "Die Qual der Wahl", in German ;=) Diversity is
intrinsically OK, but a bewildering array of options merely baffles people.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com