LL-L "Grammar" 2011.03.20 (02) [EN-NL]

Sun Mar 20 20:28:18 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 20 March - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
============================== =======================

From: pbarrett <pbarrett at cox.net>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2011.03.19 (03) [EN]

John McWhorter tackles this very well in two popular books: The Power of
Babel and Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue and more academically in Language
Interrupted.

This issue has two parts for me: the notion that complexity equals complex
morphology only when word formation, syntax, etc. can complicate things
immensely e.g. Chinese.......

and that people who live in small groups with constant face-to-face contact
tend to complexify the language, adding all sorts of bells and whistles and
losing few b/c they talk to each other, whereas once new folks move into the
neighborhood, they don't have time for all that.

Pat Barrett  pbarrett at cox.net
http://ideas.lang-learn.us/barrett.php

trying to conform to the rules of the list with a limping computer.

I believe languages simplify in or after contact with other languages
especially if one or the other is dominant and of a different
grammatical system.

Heather