LL-L "Delectables" 2011.03.22 (04) [EN]

Tue Mar 22 16:36:08 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 22 March - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
============================== =======================

From: Tom Mc Rae <thomas.mcrae at bigpond.com>>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2011.03.21 (06) [EN]

On 22/03/2011, at 10:13 AM, om Mc Rae <thomas.mcrae at bigpond.com>wrote:

 Undaunted I have forwarded the enquiry to the FOODWINE List of which I am
an active member and also to some cluey friends in VA.

I'll send details of anything they come up with to this List. If they can't
I doubt anybody can.

And already a harvest is coming in....

One friend responded with three websites which MAY cover what you are
after....

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/blooming-onion-and-dipping-sauce/Detail.aspx<http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/blooming-onion-and-dipping-sauce/Detail.aspx>

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/blooming-onion/Detail.aspx<http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/blooming-onion/Detail.aspx>

http://www.kitchenlink.com/cookbooks/2002/0452275873_2.html

Another responded

Might be very thin slices of onions, lightly breaded,
and deep fried in a rectangular fry basket. When turned out
and served it looks like a loaf or brick.
Several places in Chicago area make them.
Hackney’s, Chicago suburbs, was famous for theirs.
Usually called onion loaves or baskets if I recall..
Corkey’s BBQ in Memphis area also serves them.

*******

Another...

Onion bricks happened, the story goes, when a bunch of onion stuck together
in the rectangular deep fry basket. The restaurant called it an onion brick
and it became a hit. One onion brick will be placed in the middle of the
table for four or more people too pull off strands of onion to munch on.

*********

My VAsperts offered recipes if wanted I conformed I did and will forward
what I receive,

Best Regards
Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane Australia
Let every man be respected as an individual and no man idolized.
–Albert Einstein

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com