LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.05.02 (04) [EN]

Mon May 2 19:11:32 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 02 May 2011 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mark and Ruth Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>

Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.04.25 (05) [EN-NDS]

 Dear Ron & Co.

Subject: LL-L Language Varieties.

My Ruth has been going through the pre-&-post Passover stuff, closing with
the delightful davar Michael Keach found, Rafael Finkel's 'On the Ritual
Slaughter of the Latke'. Some folks, she reckons, have had too much exposure
to Talmudic Pilpul for their own good...

But ducking back a letter: Ron, she wonders if there aren't more
persuasively *more* than three traditions bearing on the pupik. There is
one naming neither the belly-button nor the masculine article, but what we
here call the 'Pope's Nose'. That is; the chicken's tail, a delicacy to some
& abhorred by everybody else at the table. To confound it all, the Litvaks
down here seem to apply it to the chicken's gizzard! (another part I
wouldn't touch with a fourty-foot barge-pole). Now Ruth is of the Weiner
blood-line, from White Russia. & if I remember her mother aright, they are
descended from the Rebbe of Chernobyl (it used to be famous for other things
than radioactivity). It seems to Ruth that the pupik can refer to absolutely
anything - just slightly indecent...

For my part, my grandfather, who studied at Leicester University, & was of
that generation that did 'walking tours' in his case all over Northwest
England, brought back the term 'parson's nose' for the same (the chicken's
tail). Now, does that part of the U.K. cherish any degree of animus towards
the parson?

Ron wrote:
Today a dear friend of mine told me that in her Midwestern American Jewish
family there were two camps that had been thrown together by marriage: the
“Lithuanians” and the “Ruthenians.” Much of the mutual disapproval centered
on the pronunciation of the words for “cake” ~ “baked dish” (קוגל, L. *kugl*,
R. *kigl*) and ‘belly-button” (פּופּיק, L. *pupik*, R. *pipik*) ... in other
words on /u/ being preserved in L. while having become [i] elsewhere. (One
of the “Ruthenians” in the family even claimed that a *pupik* was not the
same as a *pipik* but meant “something farther down”!) Of course, you feel
the urge to shout, “Get over it already!” But, of course, these differences
stood/stand for a lot more, especially for cultural features, including ...
very importantly ... for cooking and baking recipes.

Yrs,
Mark

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com