LL-L "Etymology" 2011.05.12 (04) [EN]

Thu May 12 23:05:32 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 12 May 2011 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.05.12 (01) [EN]

Note that you could also say “books aplenty” in English.

Kevin Caldwell

Laurel, MD

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk

 But you might well say "books a-plenty".  Or "Money to burn", "rain for
England" etc.

Paul
Derby
England

----------

From: Isaac M. Davis isaacmacdonalddavis at gmail.com

  From: Henry Pijffers henry.pijffers at gmail.com
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.05.11 (02) [EN]
>

> And is that word put behind the object in Gaelic? I mean, in English one
> would say "plenty books", but "books galore". Is that word order also copied
> from Gaelic?

Actually, if it's modifying a noun, it's put before the noun, and the noun
is in the genitive case: *go leor ama* 'plenty of time', *go leor
airgid* 'enough
money'. It only goes after the word it's modifying if that word is an
adjective: *maith go leor* 'good enough', *mór go leor* 'big enough'. This
is in Irish, mind you. I can't speak to usage in Scottish Gaelic or Manx,
though I could ask people tomorrow.

Best,

Isaac M. Davis

--

"As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master."
—Abraham Lincoln

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com