LL-L "Phonology" 2011.05.19 (03) [EN-NDS]

Fri May 20 22:05:49 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 21 May 2011 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Joachim <Osnabryg+Lowlands at googlemail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2011.05.19 (03) [EN]

Am 20.05.11 06:14, schrieb Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium:

 Het is zeker geen "typo"...ik bedoelde wel degelijk dat een "w" soms "t"
wordt in bepaalde Brabantse woorden...maar niet alleen in Brabants by the
way:

 new (E) = nieuw (D) = nuut (B) ... compare with Swedish "Gott Nytt År" for
"Good New Year"
 blue (E) = blauw (D) = blaat (B) ...
Sometimes also: raw (E) = r(a)uw (D) = raat (B), but also rää (B)

 I forgot to mention that "w" even sometimes turns into "g" when at the back
of a word:

 mellow (E) = murw (D) = mörg (B) (said of food that is ready to eat, also
meaning "drunk")

Thank you having answered to my appeal.  I see, you are widening the thread
to the (linguistically perhaps weightyer) question of sound shift and
phonemic change, the mine was humbly limited to the pronounciation of the
written letters w, v, f in het Standard-Netherlands. Of course are these
topics related to each other.

For my limited concern to be assured that Netherlandish *'w'* was originally
(and - as I thing - *is* still in the authentic civilized manner) pronounced
as bilabial approximated/fricative *as in English* I'd like to argue:

The shift from w to t or g -* neuw > nuut, blauw > blaat, r(a)uw > raat,
murw > mörg - *is a kind of *"Hiattilgung"*, a/one spontaneous way in folk
speech to  avoid the collition of too many *vocals or diphthong + vocal. *

Reinhard's example in

Low Saxon; e.g., *blau* ~ *blag'* (Dutch spelling *blauw* ~ *blaog*', IPA
[blaˑʊ] ~ [blɒːˑɣ]) 'blue'.

is of the same kind. I could add others in Westphalian like

*niiu(w)(e) > nig(ge), vrii(e) > vrig(ge), vriien > vriggen, wiie > wigge,
bou(w)en > bovven* (of *bugen* in other LS dialects).

*Anyway this is an endmost averment of the Lowlandic 'w' being generally
articulated  semi-vocally and that is bilabial-approximating!*

Met echt-westfœlsken »Goudgaun!«
joachim
--
Kreimer-de Fries
Osnabrügge => Berlin-Pankow

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Joachim, you wrote above:

Reinhard's example in

Low Saxon; e.g., *blau* ~ *blag'* (Dutch spelling *blauw* ~ *blaog*', IPA
[blaˑʊ] ~ [blɒːˑɣ]) 'blue'.

is of the same kind. I could add others in Westphalian like

*niiu(w)(e) > nig(ge), vrii(e) > vrig(ge), vriien > vriggen, wiie > wigge,
bou(w)en > bovven* (of *bugen* in other LS dialects).

You could also add *Froon ~ Froen ~ Fruun ~ Fruen ~ Frugen* 'women'.

But you need to distinguish between "true" /g/ and epenthetic [g].
Epenthetic [g] occurs a lot in dialects of Mecklenburg. See for instance
Hanne's translation: http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/mekelnborgsch.php .
There is the word *reigenweg* 'totally', which in other dialects is *reinweg
*, based on the German loanword *rein* 'clean', 'pure(ly)' > Low Saxon
'totally', 'altogether', 'absolutely'.

Seattle, USA

From: Joachim <Osnabryg+Lowlands at googlemail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2011.05.20 (04) [EN-NDS]

- Nidderdüütsk-Westfœlsk tekst volgt unnedran -