LL-L "Phonology" 2011.05.21 (04) [EN-NDS]

Sat May 21 23:26:41 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 21 May 2011 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Joachim <Osnabryg+Lowlands at googlemail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2011.05.22 (01) [EN]

Am 21.05.11 18:16, schrieb Marcus Buck:

"rein" is not a German loan. It's a normal Low Saxon word.

I agree. ODutch/OSaxon *and* OHiG *rēni*, Gothic *hrains*. I only suspected
that the Meck-Pom prononciation [ai] could be taken over from New High
German.

The "ei" diphthong that makes you think it's a loan is the normal expected
result of the original Old Saxon "hraini". The Old Saxon diphthog "ai"
changed to monophthongic "ee" in Modern Low Saxon but the word-final "i"
triggers Umlaut and that's the reason why the modern word has "ei".

I agree with the Umlautung and/or i-diphthongization because of the "i" in
the formerly following syllable. But: do you mean *[ai] or [ei/ɛi]*? If the
latter, I have no question. If the first [ai, rain, raigen], I would ask you
why this is to expect.

In High German this, the [ai] for [ei/ɛi], was part of the New High German
vocal shift, in so far also "to expect", although I don't know the reasons
for the changes neither from Gothic [ai] to Lowlandish/OHiGerm [e:/ei] nor
for that from Middel Lowlandish/Middel High German [e:/ei] to Modern HiGerm
[ai]. As far as I tried to study it, I only got the rather general answer,
that long vowels tend to be diphthongized.

Met echt-westfœlsken »Goudgaun!«
joachim
--
Kreimer-de Fries, Osnabrügge => Berlin-Pankow