LL-L "Etymology" 2011.05.26 (01) [EN]

Thu May 26 17:13:23 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 26 May 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Pat Reynolds pat at caerlas.co.uk
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.05.25 (03) [EN]

Reinhard/Ron asked

“I wonder why in some Low Saxon dialects the word for "superstition" (Dutch
*bijgeloof*, Limburgish *biegelouf*, German *Aberglauben*) is
*Höhnergloven*[ˈhœʏnɐˌglɔʊvm̩] ~ [ˈhɔɪnɐˌglɔʊbm̩], literally "chicken
belief". Is the
reference to "chickens" meant to devalue the belief, or is there an old
custom behind it all?
“

I am reminded of “Mother Goose” stories, which I think is a translation from
French.

Why poultry should be credited with folk tales and belief, I know not.

Cheers,

Pat

---

Pat Reynolds

It may look messy now ...

         ... but just you come back in 500 years time (T. Pratchett).

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com