LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.11.01 (02) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 1 22:34:32 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 01 November 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. roger.thijs at euro-support.be

Subject: LL-L Endangered Languages

There are quite some endangered languages in the US.

One of these is “Missouri French”:

*Missouri is home to an endangered dialect of the French language
known as Missouri
French. Speakers of the dialect, who call themselves Creoles, are
descendants of the French pioneers who settled the area then known as the
Illinois Country beginning in the late 17th century. It developed in
isolation from French speakers in Canada and Louisiana, becoming quite
distinct from the varieties of Canadian French and Louisiana Creole French.
Once widely spoken throughout the area, Missouri French is now nearly
extinct, with only a few elderly speakers able to use it*.

pasted from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri

I’m on a project in St Louis Mo and I will be over there most of my time in
the period Dec 2011– May 2012. So I’m interested whether somebody has any
clues how to contact speakers of Missouri French.

Regards,
Roger
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com