LL-L "Holidays" 2011.11.06 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 7 00:56:46 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 06 November 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <roerd096 at PLANET.NL>

Subject: LL-L "Administrativia" 2011.11.01 (01) [EN]

I wish everyone a good Offering Feast; Je souhais une bonne Fête de Tabaski
à tout le monde; 'Id el Adha mubarak!
Ingmar

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Holidays

Thanks, Ingmar.

Christian All Saints Day and varieties of the Day of the Dead, as well as
the "Pagan," "Celtic" and Jewish High Holy Days recently behind us, I'm
joining Ingmar in sending best wishes to our Muslim members and their loved
ones for a wonderful عيد الأضحى (‘Īd al-’Aḍḥá, Festival of Sacrifice). This
holiday commemorates the willingness of Abraham (אַבְרָהָם *ʼAḇrāhām*,
إبراهيم‎ *ʾIbrāhīm*) to sacrifice his son. Because of this, this festival
is celebrated widely throughout the Islamic world under various names
referring to "sacrifice" (*qorbân* etc.).

Regards and Love,
Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com