LL-L "Etymology" 2011.11.08 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 8 17:27:51 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 08 November 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: list at marcusbuck.org

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.11.07 (01) [DE-EN-NDS]

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <roerd096 at PLANET.NL>

> Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2011.11.06 (01) [EN]
>
> I wish everyone a good Offering Feast; Je souhais une bonne Fête de Tabaski
> à tout le monde; 'Id el Adha mubarak!
> Ingmar
>
> Thanks, Ron. I called it incorrectly "Offering Feast" instead of Sacrifice
> Festival, because of the Dutch name "Offerfeest", compare German
> "Opferfest". Btw I wonder why German has -pf- instead of -ff- in this word,
> it seems to be a hypercorrection to me, because the original Latin verb is
> "offere" to offer. Or was the German word influenced by Latin operari, to
> work, which may have given a p => pf in German ?
> Ingmar

Indeed. This also reflects in the old terms for sacristan (in German
"Küster", Low Saxon "Köster") which in Middle Low Saxon times was called
"Offermann" or "Oppermann" in some regions. This also became a surname. The
North Low Saxon region preferred "Offermann" and the Eastfalian region
preferred "Oppermann". It's indeed from the words "offere"/"operari". (See
e.g. <http://www.answers.com/topic/oppermann>)

Marcus Buck
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com