LL-L "Language use" 2011.11.16 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 16 18:28:48 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 16 November 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: mike.keach at gmail.com
 Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2011.11.15 (01) [EN-NDS-NL]

Really. Everyone take three healing breaths.

[Mike Keach]

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language use

Good advice, Mike.

Seattle, USA

** ----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <roerd096 at PLANET.NL>

Insha'allah that you are right. Sorry for all this. Ingmar

From: R. F. Hahn <[log in to unmask]>

Wo! Easy, guys!

Surely there's some misunderstanding.

Seattle, USA

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks, Ingmar.

I personally did not think that Piet's posting came from a place of
intolerance. I rather believe that it was provoked by his eagerness to
understand everything that is posted here.

Posting in Lowlands languages is, of course, most appropriate and reaches
the largest number of readers. Among them, English is optimal in this
sense. But the use of other Lowlands language varieties is encouraged
because of their relevance and because of the fact that our subscribers
want to be exposed to them for learning purposes.

However, this does not mean that other languages are excluded, especially
in cases like welcoming messages and felicitations. A sizable percentage of
our members are from places other than Europe, North America, Australia and
New Zealand, and a lot of them are not Christian or even of Christian
background. I want all of them to feel as welcome and validated as everyone
else.

Global communication is advancing rapidly, and Lowlands-L is an
international community in which all sorts of voices can and should be
heard.

Seattle, USA