LL-L "Etymology" 2011.11.24 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 24 21:25:19 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 24 November 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hellinckx Luc luc.hellinckx at gmail.com
 Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Beste Ron,

You wrote:

In many Low Saxon dialects, this type of light, steady rain (and the
accompanying low light conditions) are known as (masculine)
*Druus*[dru:s], and the derived adjective/adverb is
*drusig* ['dru:zɪç].

I think the original meaning of [dru:s] may have been "murk" (compare Old
English "drusan" to sink, and "to drowse"), evolving to:

   - [dru:s]: nickname for the devil (the dark one, in many dialects)
   - [dru:s]: sediment, dark sludgy substance in a liquid, also a horse
   disease (cf. droesem in Dutch)
   - [dru:s]: as in toponym Droeshout and surname Droesbeke (dark, marshy
   wood and muddy, slow running brook)
   - [dru:s]: nickname for a big, clumsy, slow-witted fellow

Not too sure English "drizzle" is related btw. Seems like a substrate word,
together with Dutch "dras".

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium