LL-L "Etymology" 2011.10.23 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 24 02:29:37 UTC 2011

  L O W L A N D S - L - 23 October 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Stellingwerfs Eigen" <info at stellingwerfs-eigen.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Dear LL-friends,
Yesterday in our newspaper (Leeuwarder Courant) there was an article about a
old fashion church service: *"De vrouwen zaten apart en hadden hoedjes op.
Sommige mannen hadden een hoge hoed op. De meeste kinderen, ook helemaal in
stijl met petten en strikken in het haar, zaten op de kraak."* (Woman where
sitting apart, some man where wearing a top-hat en the childeren where
sitting on de 'kraak'.)

That word 'kraak' intrigues me. It is a high-level half-open floor,
somewhere between the ground-floor and the roof in a church. It is mostly
also the place where the organ is been played.

In our Stellingwarf (LS) region we know a word 'hilde' meant for a half-open
'tussenverdieping' (Eng: mezzanine(?)) but this is not used for a 'kraak' in
a church.

I'm wondering (a) where that word 'kraak' etymological comes from and (b) if
there is a equivalent word for the Dutch 'kraak' in LS? In our Stellingwerfs
we call it the  'kraeke'.
Mit een vrundelike groet uut Stellingwarf,
Piet Bult

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com