LL-L "Etymology" 2011.10.24 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 24 19:12:34 UTC 2011

  L O W L A N D S - L - 23 October 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: M.-L. Lessing marless at gmx.de
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.10.23 (01) [EN]

Hello,

I fully support Piet's cause! Searching for words for the "kraak", I
find only "Galerie" and "Empore" in my brain and can hardly believe it.
There must be some other, more authentic word, even in my vocabulary, though
well hidden! At least in Platt it *cannot* be "Galerie" or "Empore". Help
us, Plattkenners!

As to the old-fashion service, I had before heard that children were often
kept together in such a place. What I never understood is why. Why give
children the opportunity not only to gibber, play and make noise together,
but even to throw things down?? Or was there some unfortunate person in
charge to hinder them? Good luck, with 20 or more children...

Hartlich!

Marlou

       From: "Stellingwerfs Eigen" <info at stellingwerfs-eigen.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Dear LL-friends,
Yesterday in our newspaper (Leeuwarder Courant) there was an article about a
old fashion church service: *"De vrouwen zaten apart en hadden hoedjes op.
Sommige mannen hadden een hoge hoed op. De meeste kinderen, ook helemaal in
stijl met petten en strikken in het haar, zaten op de kraak."* (Woman where
sitting apart, some man where wearing a top-hat en the childeren where
sitting on de 'kraak'.)

That word 'kraak' intrigues me. It is a high-level half-open floor,
somewhere between the ground-floor and the roof in a church. It is mostly
also the place where the organ is been played.

In our Stellingwarf (LS) region we know a word 'hilde' meant for a half-open
'tussenverdieping' (Eng: mezzanine(?)) but this is not used for a 'kraak' in
a church.

I'm wondering (a) where that word 'kraak' etymological comes from and (b) if
there is a equivalent word for the Dutch 'kraak' in LS? In our Stellingwerfs
we call it the  'kraeke'.
Mit een vrundelike groet uut Stellingwarf,
Piet Bult