LL-L "Phonology" 2011.09.10 (02) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 10 18:42:03 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 10 September 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mike Morgan mwmbombay at gmail.com
 Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2011.09.09 (01) [DE-EN-NDS]

Ron wrote:

> Both Sorbian (Lusatian) languages (which have first syllable stress) have
*mloko*.

Yes, mlVko is the (almost) universal Western Slavic template... East Slavic
with its *polnoglasie* (full vowel mVlVko) forms is, it would seem, the
innovator..

And as Western Salvic is that part of Slavdom bordering on Germandom, it is
maybe not inconsequential that we see it also in the "older" *hros* (with
CLVC as also *mloko*) as opposed to *horse* (with CVLC) in Germanic.

regards,

MIKE (no liquids, metathesized or other, in my first name... though for
local flavour I sometimes give my family name as Murugan as opposed to
Morgan ;-)