LL-L "Language diversity" 2011.09.11 (02) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 11 21:31:54 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 11 September 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Pat Barrett pbarrett at cox.net
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2011.09.10 (02) [EN]

BTW, if we're not getting too far afield here, how are
Sorbian/Lusatian/Wendish doing? They were spoken around Bautzen and Kottbus,
I believe, which would have been in Eastern Germany. How did they fare then
and how are they faring now, if anyone knows?
Re nomenclature: they call themselves Sorbs but are better known to English
speakers as Lusatian. Wend, I believe, is pejorative. My source is R.G.A.
deBray's Guide to the Slavonic Languages, a book mentioned as pro-Communist
or pro-Soviet, but which mentions the "indifference of all the Great Powers"
in the 1950s.

Pat Barrett pbarrett at cox.net
http://ideas.lang-learn.us/barrett.php

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language diversity

Hi, Pat!

It does take us a little far afield. The only ways the two Sorbian are
relevant is that (1) they are minority languages of Germany (as are Low
Saxon and Frisian), and that (2) some northern Lower Sorbian dialects at
least used to have contacts with some Brandenburg Low Saxon dialects.
(Polabian, Slovincian and Kashubian [the latter two being Pomeranian
Slavic], on the other hand, used to have very intensive contacts with Low
Saxon).

As for Sorbian, I recommend you read my introduction:
http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/serbscina-info.php

Please also take a look at the following:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbian_languages
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbs

Please also bear in mind that today's Lusatia is only a tiny remnant of the
original land, which stretch from around Dresden to some distance east of
the Lusatian Neisse (in today's Poland) and from just south of Berlin to
today's German-Czech border. The city of Zhorjelc (Lower Sorbian *Zgórjelc*,
German *Görlitz*, Polish *Zgorzelec*, Czech *Zhořelec*) was the original
Lusatian center.**

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com