LL-L "Etymology" 2012.04.20 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 20 17:33:04 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 20 April 2012 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Luc Vanbrabant lucv32 at gmail.com
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2012.04.17 (02) [EN]

Hallo,
In West-Flanders the little creature is called: 'vorke / sprietoorm'.

Groetjes,
Luc Vanbrabant
Oekene

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <roerd096 at PLANET.NL>
 Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2012.04.17 (01) [DE-EN-NDS]

I know this insect in Low Saxon of the Netherlands as "knieptange", or also
as "oorkruper".

"Oorworm" is its Standard Dutch name. Btw "worm" and "wurm" are both
Standard Dutch, but "worm" is used more nowadays, "wurm" sounds a bit old
fashioned or "poche" too me. The Dutch Queen probably says "wurm" all the
time.
Ingmar

From: R. F. Hahn <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Etymology

Dear Lowlanders,

Today, our Hanne wrote something about German Ohrwurm ([ˈʔoːɐ̆vʊɜ̆m]) and
Low Saxon Ohrworm ~ Uhrworm ([ˈʔɔʊˑɜ̆vɔˑɐ̆m] ~ [ˈʔuːɜ̆vɔˑɐ̆m]), literally
"earworm", (Wikipedia: "catchy tune; or a piece of music that sticks in
one's mind so that one seems to hear it, even when it is not being played").

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohrwurm

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohrwürmer

 Uhrworm m. Ohrwurm; Oorworm,  Urworm: en Kirl as en Uhrworm (ein
beweglicher, wendiger Mann) REUTER; ironisch und warnend: jem.  ist
fründlich as 'n Uhrworm. Syn.: Uhrenkniper, Uhrslüser.
Lit.: Perfesser Voßlo

Ohrwurm, m., Ohrworm, pl. -wörm; Ohrklauer/-kröpel [ǭ]/ -kruper, m., pl. -s
Lit.: GÜNTER HARTE - JOHANNA HARTE

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks, Ingmar.

BTW, I agree with Marcus in assuming that German *Ohrwurm* is the origin of
Dutch *oorwurm ~ oorworm*, English "earworm" (> Japanese
*iyāwāmu*[イヤーワーム), and French
*ver d'oreille* ... all this in the sense of a tune you can't get out of
your mind.

German *Ohrwurm* is also one word for the insect *Forficula auricularia*,
also for insects of the *Dermaptera *type*,* which in German is also called
*Ohrenkneifer* ("ear nipper"), *Ohrenpitscher*, and *Ohrenschliefer*.
Growing up in Northern Germany, I called them *Ohrenkneifer*. Hanne already
mentioned the Low Saxon equivalents:

Uhrworm m. Ohrwurm; Oorworm,  Urworm: en Kirl as en Uhrworm (ein
beweglicher, wendiger Mann) REUTER; ironisch und warnend: jem.  ist
fründlich as 'n Uhrworm. Syn.: Uhrenkniper, Uhrslüser.
Lit.: Perfesser Voßlo

Ohrwurm, m., Ohrworm, pl. -wörm; Ohrklauer/-kröpel [ǭ]/ -kruper, m., pl. -s
Lit.: GÜNTER HARTE - JOHANNA HARTE

Others:

*Dermaptera:*

Scots: eariwig, clipshear, forkie(tailie), forker, (hornie) golach, gavelock
Dutch: oorwurm, oorworm
Afrikaans: oorworm

Danish: ørentvist
Norwegian: saksedyr
Swedish: tvestjärt

Many of the equivalent names (as e.g. Norwegian ["scissor animal"] and
Swedish ["two/double tail"]) refer to the forked tail of the insect, aside
from names referring to reputed "ear-nipping" (many of which are found in
the Slavic group of languages).

Best wishes,

Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <roerd096 at PLANET.NL>

Next to "knieptang" and "oorkroeper" there are several other names for this
insect in Drenthe Low Saxon alone: gaffeltang, gaffeltand, oortiik.
So

Ingmar
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com