LL-L "Botanica" 2012.08.11 (02) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 11 21:31:11 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 11 August 2012 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: elaine kruger-haye elainekh at eject.co.za
Subject: LL-L "Botanica" 2012.08.10 (01) [DE-EN-NDS]

Greetings from the Cape of Storms

When I was a child I was told the cape gooseberry is so called because it
wears a cape.  The fruit is enclosed in a "cape" which is folded back when
it is eaten fresh off the bush.   It comes up all on its own as a pioneer
plant (weed) on disturbed soils where the conditions are suitable.   I am
picking enough for a good double portion of gooseberry fool every few days
and have been doing so for months . The  bush just came up in a flower
border and we left it.   I have seen punnets of them in the fruit sections
of the supermarkets, so conclude it is grown commercially

The Afrikaans is "appelliefie"  with older variants "appelliepie,
appelde(r)liefde, appieliefie"

We just call it "Stachelbeere" because of the English word, although we
know the real "Stachelbeere"..  My slightly older Woordeboek van die
Afrikaanse Taal  mentions under "appelliefie" that the Ribes grossularia
from Europe, N. Africa and S.W. Asia is also called "pampelmoesie" or
"pompelmoesie" which is the diminutive form of the name I know a grapefruit
under.  I think in Hawaii it is a poa berry (spelling?)

Regards
Elaine Krueger-Haye

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Botanica

Thank you very much for the interesting explanation, Elaine, and welcome to
the speakers' corner of the forum!

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com