LL-L "Etymology" 2012.08.13 (03) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 14 02:26:54 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 13 August 2012 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong [Dutchmatters at comcast.net]
 Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Hello Lowlanders.

I am reading “Agaat” by the South African writer Marlene van Niekerk. I
have two copies. One a translation from South African into Dutch and the
other into English.

The book itself is an incredible read. Both translations are imaginative
with the English one by Michiel Heyns winning by a nosefor sheer literary
quality. However, neither of the translators gives an etymology of the word
“nooi” as in ‘ounooi’ an honorific for the (white) lady of the ‘plaas’. Of
course my curiosity won out! Do any of our South African members know the
answer to this question? If so…… Much obliged.

Jacqueline BdJ

Seattle US

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com