LL-L "Etymology" 2012.08.14 (01) [AF-EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 14 18:58:54 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 13 August 2012 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <roerd096 at PLANET.NL>
 Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2012.08.13 (03) [EN]

Beste Jacqueline,
I think it's from Malay (Indonesian) nonya = miss, mistress. The Cape Dutch
had many slaves from the Dutch East Indies, now Indonesia, and their
language had a great deal of influence in the onset and development of
Afrikaans.
Another frequent Afrikaans word from Malay is 'baie' from banya(k) = much,
many, a lot, with the same meaning in Afrikaans.

Groeten,
Ingmar

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong [Dutchmatters at comcast.net]