LL-L "Idiomatica" 2012.02.16 (06) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 17 07:21:45 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 16 February 2012 - Volume 06
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Idiomatica

Dear Lowlanders,

Watching an Irish video clip tonight I was reminded of the non-American
English expression "nosy parker" denoting an overly inquisitive or prying
person. I am well acquainted with this expression from my days in England
and Australia but have never encountered it in North America.

What about Canada? May I assume correctly that this expression is known in
that country but is not usually used by those that are not immigrants from
Britain, Australia or New Zealand?

Why "parker"?

What would be the closest expressions in other Lowlands languages?

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com