LL-L "Idiomatica" 2012.02.17 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 17 19:59:20 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 17 February 2012 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Isaac M. Davis isaacmacdonalddavis at gmail.com
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2012.02.16 (06) [EN]

Ron Hahn wrote:

Dear Lowlanders,

> Watching an Irish video clip tonight I was reminded of the non-American
> English expression "nosy parker" denoting an overly inquisitive or prying
> person. I am well acquainted with this expression from my days in England
> and Australia but have never encountered it in North America.
>
> What about Canada? May I assume correctly that this expression is known in
> that country but is not usually used by those that are not immigrants from
> Britain, Australia or New Zealand?

I know people in my family use the term, and I've always assumed it's more
widely used in Canada, but I'm not sure, now that you mention it. And while
the members of my family I can remember using it aren't immigrants
themselves, we are a very strongly British family, with a new infusion of
blood every generation or two.

Best,

Isaac M. Davis
Montréal, Canada

----------

From: Wim wkv at home.nl

>From wim verdoold wkv at home.nl

Hi

Did you watch the Thunderbirds as a kid?

There in that series you will find nosy Parker ..

Wim

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk

Here's about the most likely explanation I can find:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/nosy-parker.html

People surnamed Parker are commonly given the nickname "Nosy" in England.

Paul
Derby
England

----------

From: "Steven Hanson" <ammurit at gmail.com>

I don’t know how widespread it is, but I’ve heard the phrase ‘nosy Rosy’
here in California at the very least.  I assume the name, Rosy, is used,
simply because it rhymes with ‘nosy’.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Idiomatica

Dear Lowlanders,

Watching an Irish video clip tonight I was reminded of the non-American
English expression "nosy parker" denoting an overly inquisitive or prying
person. I am well acquainted with this expression from my days in England
and Australia but have never encountered it in North America.

What about Canada? May I assume correctly that this expression is known in
that country but is not usually used by those that are not immigrants from
Britain, Australia or New Zealand?

Why "parker"?

What would be the closest expressions in other Lowlands languages?

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com