LL-L "Grammar" 2012.02.23 (04) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 24 00:26:28 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 23 February 2012 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Paul Finlow-Bates wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2012.02.23 (01) [EN]

I can't see how the lowlands languages could have borrowed, when Old
English has a similar structure.  Norse influence, possibly reinforced by
French, seems to have changed it here.

Paul
Derby
England

----------

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

from heather Rendall   heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

Vlad wrote
Y’all know the type of word-order which I tentatively call (after
some researchers) closed-in construction, i.e. “the characteristic
feature of the German word order, dissociating tightly connected
elements of the sentence, e.g. Wir HABEN uns wieder ein ganzes Jahr
nicht GESEHEN, Sie BEREITETE ihrem Sohn alles für die Reise VOR.”

The latter are known as 'separable verbs' in English - at least when
they are taught in German lessons

The former are compound tenses and they are taught as having the active
auxiliary in 2nd position and the rest at the end of the sentence.

They are not to my knowledge taught as similar grammatical
constructions or patterns

English has had GREAT trouble with separable verbs especially since
most (more old fashioned) English teachers insisted on 'never ending a
sentence with a preposition' and quoting Churchill to prove it " That,
Sir, is an English , up with which I will not put!"

As a teacher of German I frequently used this as an example of overly
rigid practice and encouraged 'German' grammar in English with
prepositions at the end of the sentence. (Similarly I encouraged John
and me following 'French' grammar rather than 'John and I' following
both German and Latin

re parts of the verb at the end of the sentence, historically isn't it
a case of verbs moving FROM the end of the sentence. Except for matters
of emphasis or style, weren't IE langauges more used to the verb at the
end of the sentence than anywhere else?

Heather
Worcester UK

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com