LL-L "Idiomatica" 2012.01.11 (02) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 12 00:21:28 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 11 January 2012 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Brooks, Mark mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2012.01.11 (01) [EN]

Marlou wrote: "Hey, ist der Papst katholisch?!" It is just a strong form of
"Yes".

I’ve heard that expression in English most all my life. I’m 61 now and live
in Texas. So, perhaps German borrowed it from English. We have another one
that more “rustic.” It happens in the same context as the Pope question:
“Does a bear shit in the woods?”

I’ve also heard a wag mix them, so that he replaces the bear with the Pope
;-). Pretty irreverent, but not unexpected from a primarily Protestant part
of the country (I grew up in Dallas).

About grass: We also have the grass being greener on the other side of the
fence. Another one that is probably more recent is: “Your ass is grass, and
I’m the lawn mower.” Strangely, in everyday speech it has become shortened
to “Your ass is grass” without the second part. So, if you’d never heard it
before, you’d be completely lost.

Regards,
Mark Brooks
* *