LL-L "Idiomatica" 2012.01.15 (03) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 16 06:28:42 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 15 January 2012 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Fonken, Gael M. [foga0301 at stcloudstate.edu]"
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica"

Marlou wrote:

Dear Gael, I think this can mean "Sie ist es" = "She is it". "Ische" as a
Name is a nickname of "Luise", originating in baby language I think. This
would make no sense here.

Ron wrote:

The language used in that music video appears to be an Allemanic variety
(which is well outside the Lowlands).

 My original question: è*Elijah *- *Sie isch-----es** *by
EtobasiOfficial21,502 views
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPX0RNl7qO8&feature=related>–not sure what
“isches” means.

Beste LL folks,

    It seems the answer was in the video [@30 seconds where two street
signs converge]: *“Sie isch es” oder  “Sie”  [she’s it….or…. she]* which
seems to reflect opposite choices of *how* best to live….(*who* best to
live with)? I like the video because of it leads to scenes that include
their children … so the choice of one’s sexual partner is grounded in
family life and with open respectful relations with people of other races.
On the whole it is a positive message.  That other *“**dorp**”* South
African band in London had no such grounding and reflects a lot of anger.
I’m curious here how *YouTube* gives space for both types of music and how
both are responses made by language minorities where local identities are
focused on. Yes Ron, this Euro-reggae is not from the lowlands. In the
*Interview
*Hype TV, Jamaica with Elijah
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krTzP_2EDUQ&feature=related>-- at the 4thminute,
he says he is half *Italian* and half *Schwyzerdüütsch*.  It’s this
linguistically mixed heritage that attracts him to Reggae.

    But it is *Ina Muller* who uses the term *dörp* to describe this
dynamic *in locally-meaningful terms*.  She is able to combine this
positive *mixed-race reggae theme* with the darker London smalltown *‘dorp’
politics* to produce a distinctively upbeat *progressive* AND yet still *
morally-grounded* vision for society. She also seems to be actively living
this vision in a more consistent way. Perhaps as reflected in the 1st video
here: YouTube Mix for Ina
Müller<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcCIepoC8Gk&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=AVGxdCwVVULXdG5J7zydA-YlsIw-4KhAaU>
.  Her linguistically-sophisticated politics is also reflected in her
more *mature
audiences* (older people gathered in more upscale places) as well as her
official *interviews of other people* from the lowlands, Frisians, etc… For
her to post a video called “*Platt is nich uncool
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtVxMxfvozo&feature=BFa&list=AVGxdCwVVULXdG5J7zydA-YlsIw-4KhAaU&lf=list_related>
*” is quite significant… But who I am to say this when I can’t understand
what she is saying in these videos?  I have returned to studying German
after my Platt grandfather closed down when I tried to use it to speak with
him over 20 years ago.

   For now though, can someone give me a few more clues?  Is the
word/concept of *dörp* related to a certain capability among *lowlanders to
mix together more ‘harmoniously.*’ There certainly seems to be less tension
here than with Afrikaans music arising from South Africa. What gets
depicted in Elijah’s schweiz reggae also seems to emerge from a more
abstract *(big city)* base. There seems to be more opportunity in the
lowlands to get reconnected with the land…Is that it? — that
*dörp**ishen*are more likely to mix with other
* dörp**ishen* and *to notice and honor the indigenous base underneath
without idealizing it*.

Is this so?

What else do I need to think about?

Gael

Links and listener comments for three ‘minority language’ bands:

*Schwizer Reggae vom feinste *

*Etobasi feat.* *Elijah** *- *Sie isch es *by EtobasiOfficial21,502 views
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPX0RNl7qO8&feature=related>–the words *Sie
isch es* are in the video!! on the street sign

*More of his songs **è**ELIJAH - SIE ISCH WÄG by shigimigi 418,253 views
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxmzSAgG-W4&feature=related>*

*                                     **è**DO GOOD IN LIFE - ELIJAH
(OFFICIAL VIDEO)by elijahch 29,897 views
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3ri5LhmRRo&feature=related>*-in Jamaican
English

*Elijah* *Interview *Hype TV, Jamaica  by elijahch 1,134 views
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krTzP_2EDUQ&feature=related>--Jun, 2011–very
nice discussion of *his mixed language heritage*

“*Schweiz*.... - meine erste Liebe! Yeees!!!

I swear the god ich hatte wundervolle Urlaube in den Bergen :)” HippeldieHop
<http://www.youtube.com/user/HippeldieHop>1 year ago

“dash doch sonen riddim vomne acoustic track woni vode wailers ghört
ha(odr erri mi:S),

be sho die ganz am sueche , weissen echt öppe. thx :D  detroitchecker
<http://www.youtube.com/user/detroitchecker>1 year ago

„Ich bin Deutscher *und versteh kein**** Wort Oo*“ Blo0dySnowman
<http://www.youtube.com/user/Blo0dySnowman>1 month ago

„Ich studiere deutsch schon seit drei Jahren (und lerne soooooo lange ;) )
und *kann euch kaum verstehen* XD

‚*Schwyzertüütsch*‘ ist aber 'ne schöne Sprache und jetzt will ich sie
lernen :) Und Lied GEIL :D“* *sepus <http://www.youtube.com/user/sepus>years
ago**

„swiss reage FTW!! grues us öschtriich ,i bin ä *verlaufene
schwiizer*“* *laridaridari
<http://www.youtube.com/user/laridaridari>1 year ago

* *

*Another Euro-Reggae group
**è**Phenomden<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGSZbwqqt7I&feature=rellist&playnext=1&list=PLAFC71E8CEBA0CEA5>
*—17 videos—this seems a bit *more violent*, less cultural?

                                                       and èPhenomden -
Stah Daby reezer82 644,224 views
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGSZbwqqt7I&feature=related>

„hey *schweiz*.. geile musik :).. find eicha sproch is foi geil :D..

schweiz is hoid afoch des beste nochbalond wos österreich hod.. respekt
aus österreich“* *grafcm <http://www.youtube.com/user/grafcm>2 years ago

„das ist *Bayrisch* und kein *Pseudoschweitzerdeutsch* ;)“ huabamomo
<http://www.youtube.com/user/huabamomo>1 month ago

* *

Links to the Afrikaans *dorp* band in London:

*dorp - interview <http://dorp%20-%20interview/>*
www.rock.co.za/amuzine/interviews/*dorp*_three.html<http://www.rock.co.za/amuzine/interviews/dorp_three.html>
<http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Z0_QMoytBIEJ:www.rock.co.za/amuzine/interviews/dorp_three.html+dorp+pieter+bezuidenhout&cd=18&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us>

*Sugar:* [with Pieter Bezuidenhout – lead vocalist]

*The name Dorp* creates an impression of *an Afrikaans smalltown
mentality*which, of course, isn't what the band's about.

*Pieter:* Yes, Dorp is really such *a kak name*. I mean, who would call
their band Dorp?

There's this poem we have:

*"Twee koeksusters sit oopmond en staar
               En vra mekaar,
               Hoekom Dorp, dis so 'n kak naam.
               En 'n huur later kon hul steeds
               Nie verstaan,
               Dat 'n woord hoef nie by sy betekenis
               Te blystaan."*

We are trying to create *a negative image* with the name because *people
don't want to be involved* with the implications of the name, but *the joke
is on them* because it *represents us all and reflects on us all*.

*Sugar:* The name hasn't turned people off at all so presumably it's had
the desired effect.

*Pieter:* Exactly. It creates *a negative interest* and that creates a
curiosity. People think this band can't be that dumb to call their band
that!

*Sugar:* *Koos Kombuis** *was one of* **the first artists to alter people's
perceptions of Afrikaans being the language of the oppressor. *

*Pieter:* Well, we don't have any Afrikaans songs but (that trend) has
allowed bands like Valiant Swart and Wonderboom to *use Afrikaans names*.
You also don't have to play the Johnny Clegg type of music that people
expect to come out of South Africa either. It just has to have *a South
African identity*. We do listen to overseas stuff but we don't have to copy
it.

*Sugar:* As a band what do you listen to?

*Pieter:* We're all into ska, funk and punk but we have our own favourites
and from this we have managed to find *our own style*. We do keep an ear on
what's happening out there, so there has been a change from our first album
to our second. You *don't have to copy* but you must *keep up*. There is a
big movement towards *dance music* these days with the raves, so we don't
go for too many ballads. Our music is mostly up-tempo. Our lyrics still
have something to say without being too profound. People can catch on to
lyrics even while they're dancing. When people dance to our music it
creates an energy that feeds back into the band.

Contrasted with the more politically active Afrikaans musician:

*Koos Kombuis** **--*Interviewed in London by saffarazzi 3,105 views
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxazCrR2bzY&feature=related> Jul 7, 2008

Awesome cool interview with this Legend of SA Rock=[starts at 1:20min]=A brief
history of his career straight from the horse's mouth and a wonderful
glimpse of his persona and hopeful optimism. Enjoyed listening to KK's
views of London and South Africa. Very well done!

Koos Kombuis - *Reconciliation day* by kamikazekonijn 5,831 views
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDth8roll_4&feature=related>

Interview on Koos Kombuis - *Reconciliation Day* - South Africa by Rouvanne
19,083 views <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4767zdCgdq0&feature=related>--
It is utter blasphemy that the ANC took Geloftedag, which is a sacred holy
day for the Boervolk, and was acknowledged as such by the NP government,
and turned it into this BS "reconciliation day". That's like going to
Israel and making Passover some "reconciliation day" for the Palestinians!
The Marxist ANC is a failure. *therightperspective
<http://www.youtube.com/user/therightperspective>*years ago  èResponse
video: Geloftedag: Day of the Vow by *therightperspective* 2,648 views
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U-1bgRVMGY&feature=watch_response>

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Idiomatica

Hi, Gael!

In Germany—even in Low Saxon ("Low German"), which nowadays is usesd
primarily in rural settings—German *Dorf* and Low Saxon *Dörp* (a cognate
of English "-thorp" and -thrup") can within certain contexts have a
pejorative meaning. It can connote simple-mindedness and other such
supposed attributes of villagers and small town folks.

*He kümmt vun'n D**örpen *can simply mean "He's from a village/small town,"
or it can mean "He isn't exactly sophisticated."

Similarly, *Dörper* and *Dörpsl**üd'* can simply mean "villager(s)" or
"small town folk," or it can have a similarly derogatory meaning.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com