LL-L 'Phonology' 2012.01.18 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 18 21:20:35 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 18 January 2012 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Andy andy at scots-online.org
Subject: LL-L 'Phonology' 2012.01.17 (02) [EN]

R. F. Hahn wrote:

 I am intrigued by some Scots words with scl... in which the /s-/ or the
> /-k-/ seem to be intrusive. I wonder if we can make sense of this somehow.

 Examples:

 Intrusive s?

 sclammer 'clamber'
> sclammer 'clamor'
> sclim 'climb'

 Intrusive k?

 sclice 'slice' [Medieval French esclicier!]
> sclidder ~ slidder 'slither'
> sclate ~ slate 'slate' [Medieval French esclat!]
> sclender ~ sclinner 'slender' [Medieval French esclendre!]
> scly 'slide'
> sclype ~ slype 'slap'
> sklent ~ slent 'slant'

 spl- > skl-?

 sklinter 'splinter'

 What do you think is going on where Medieval French does not account for
> the formations?

The prothetic (intrusive) s is most frequently prefixed to words begining
with /k, p, t/ and occasionally /l/ and /m/.
also spatch 'patch', spink 'pink', stramp 'tramp', smush 'mush'.

Perhaps some influence from Norse cf. shoot and skeet, shirt and skirt,
ship and skip etc.

The intrusive k, where Medieval French does not account for the /skl/, may
be modifications by analogy with words that have etymological /skl/,
perhaps reinforced by the /kl/ to /skl/ above.

Andy Eagle

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <roerd096 at PLANET.NL>

Hope you are not snowed in too bad, Ron...

About the Scots sclusters, I have my own little theory:

Old Anglosaxon sc- became something like sh- in Scots, as in English, at
least in some cases,
e.g. when a front vowel followed.
As the cluster scr- became shr-, the similar cluster sl- became scl-

About this parallell of sl- with scr-: in Dutch it's not possible too say
sr- , must be schr- [sxr].
In Dutch, many people even say Schri Lanka with intrusive ch [x] -> [sxri].
In German that would be schr- [SR], and in German, one can not say sl-, it
must be schl- [Sl].

Later the Vikings influenced Scots and sh- was replaced back by sk- again,
parallell to the many
Scandinavian words were borrowed into Scots and English with sk/sc  instead
of sh:
scream, scrape, scuttle, sky, skim, skittish  etc.

But in Scots, shr- and shl- were both restored as scr-, scl-, so even old
sl- became scl- via shl-.
In your examples, all the words with scl- have a front vowel, maybe that
was important for sl-
to become shl- as well (influence of Celtic slenderness?)

Just by 2 eurocents.

Ingmar

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonolgy

Dear Lowlanders,

I am intrigued by some Scots words with scl... in which the /s-/ or the
/-k-/ seem to be intrusive. I wonder if we can make sense of this somehow.

Examples:

Intrusive s?

sclammer 'clamber'
sclammer 'clamor'
sclim 'climb'

Intrusive k?

sclice 'slice' [Medieval French esclicier!]

sclidder ~ slidder 'slither'
sclate ~ slate 'slate' [Medieval French esclat!]
sclender ~ sclinner 'slender' [Medieval French esclendre!]
scly 'slide'
sclype ~ slype 'slap'
sklent ~ slent 'slant'

spl- > skl-?

sklinter 'splinter'

What do you think is going on where Medieval French does not account for
the formations?

Seattle, USA (about to be snowed in again ...)

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com