LL-L "Genealogy" 2012.07.04 (03) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 4 23:07:52 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 04 July 2012 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Tomás Ó Cárthaigh tomasocarthaigh at yahoo.com

Subject: LL-L "Genealogy" 2012.07.04 (02) [EN]

The verion I heard was it came down to one vote that English was made the
official language of America. Is that not true?

*"a person with a good book is never alone... a writer until they've
written one is never at peace" *
------------------------------

- www.writingsinrhyme.com  *:::* Add me on
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1068146849>
* :::* My YouTube Videos <http://www.youtube.com>
----------

From: Jonny Meibohm jonny.meibohm at arcor.de

Hi, Luc,

if you should happen to visit  Northern Germany you  occasionally should
have a look to the "Auswanderer-Museum" in Bremerhaven, Germany. It is made
pretty well, I think, and could give answers to your question.

I suppose it's momentum "en voguè" in USA to show and prove German (why in
"--", dear German born Reinhard ?) roots; "Made in Germany" meanwhile
(nearly 70 years after WW II and the Nazis) surprisingly seems to stand for
liberalism, "peace-love", clarity, success, continuity, solidity and any
vague sympathies (if you doubt, have a look on some published international
polls). No, no - not "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles", but a wholesome
view with a little feeling of (not proud!; this would be ridiculous!
Let this be done by other nations) self-confidence.

Could all of this still be dangerous for our common planet ;-)?

Kind regards

Jonny Meibohm

from Lower Saxony, Germany

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
 Subject: Genealogy

Jonny,

When the earlier "German" immigrants arrived, there was no Germany back in
Europe. Furthermore, lumped together with them where other ethnic groups
(Danes, Frisians, Jews, Sorbs, Poles, Kashubs, Roma, Sinti, Slovincians,
Baltic Prussians, French Huguenots), people that came from areas that later
became parts of Germany. Also, Austrians tended to be lumped in with
"Germans."

Confusion arises because "German" is both an ethnicity and a nationality.
For instance, Sorbs have German citizenship but are not ethnic Germans.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com