LL-L "Etymology" 2012.02.29 (02) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 1 00:52:01 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 29 February 2012 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong Dutchmatters at comcast.net
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2012.02.29 (01) [EN]

Hoezo?-Hoe zo?-Wieso?-How so?   TRICKY! Ron gets himself into a linguistic
wasps nest.

In my Dutch dictionary “Van Dale Groot Woordenboek der Nederlandse taal
1976”  it does not show up either as hoezo? or hoe zo? In my German-Dutch
dictionary (Kramers Woordenboek D/N N /D 1996) I find D to N Wieso? -
Hoezo? And N to D Hoe’zo? - Wieso?

So the question presents itself:- Is this maybe a Dutch loan from English
How So?

There is/was? even an informative radio program called Hoe? Zo!

In the case of Afr. ‘Hoekom’. It may indeed be an English calque, but in
Dutch you can say:- Hoe komt het dat……..? and that has exactly the same
meaning as English ‘How come?’

Concerning the difference between ‘Waarom’ en Hoezo’ There is indeed a
difference. I would use ‘Waarom’ to ask for a precedent, but ‘Hoezo’ for
the reason of that precedent – a more intellectual inquiry.

Jacqueline BdJ
Seattle US