LL-L "Traditions" 2012.03.17 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 18 00:34:05 UTC 2012

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hellinckx Luc luc.hellinckx at gmail.com
 Subject: LL-L "Traditions"

Beste Ron,

You wrote:

So you are definitely getting a taste of the US of A (or "U, S and A,"
using Borat <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borat>'s words)

In this country, certain once ethno-specific or religion-specific holidays
have been generalized. In other words, even people of other backgrounds
celebrate them in some form or other. In most of these cases, the original
purpose fell by the wayside or is simply considered immaterial.

Do you happen to know of any Native American or Cuban holidays that are
getting the attention of a wider audience in the U, S ànd A ?

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Traditions

Hi, Luc!

I can't say for sure, but I assume that if there is any Cuban-specific
holiday that was not set up by the Castro dynasty, it would likely have
local popularity among non-Cubans as well, especially in Southern
Florida. Cuban
Independence Day ( <http://goog_1529180678>*Día de la
independencia*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_holidays_in_Cuba>,
October 10) springs to mind.

"Native American" covers a great many cultures, languages and histories. As
far as I know, the closest Native equivalent to "holidays" are seasonally
celebrated tribal and inter-tribal
powwows<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powwow>and
potlatches <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potlatch>, and there are similar
meetings among the polar peoples. I attend at least one powwow per year,
and I know many other non-Natives that do so. Since 2008, there is the Native
American Heritage Day <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potlatch>. Supposedly
it is to be observed on the day after
Thanksgiving<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving>,
though I have never seen it done.

In this country, certain once ethno-specific or religion-specific holidays
have been generalized. In other words, even people of other backgrounds
celebrate them in some form or other. In most of these cases, the original
purpose fell by the wayside or is simply considered immaterial. This
applies mostly to the following:

   - St. Patrick's Day
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Patrick%27s_Day>(Irish Christian)
   - El cinco de mayo <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Cinco_de_Mayo>(Mexican)
   - El día de los
muertos<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_dia_de_los_muertos>(Mexican)
   - Oktoberfest <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oktoberfest> (Bavarian)
   - Halloween <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween> (pre-Christian >
   Christian)
   - Christmas <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas> (pre-Christian >
   Christian)

I should have mentioned Chinese New
Year<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_New_Year>(
春節), for which many non-Chinese visit the Chinatowns of their cities. In
areas with high Korean or Vietnamese population concentration this holiday
might be celebrated as
Seollal<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_New_Year>or Tết
(Nguyên Đán) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%E1%BA%BFt> respectively.

Areas with high Iranian concentration (such as in Southern California)
might have public celebrations of Nowruz<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowruz>.

Here in Seattle, like in (mostly western) other American cities, there are
annual public celebrations of Bon
Odori<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bon_Odori#Bon_Odori>(
盆踊り). Also popular is attendance of the Festa Italiana and of the St.
Demetrios<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Demetrios_Greek_Orthodox_Church_%28Seattle%29>Greek
Festival. In addition, we have Hawaiian and general "Islander"
celebrations to which the greater public is invited.

Oh, and then we have a great annual Scottish Highlands gathering (with a
nod or two to the Lowlands). Similar gatherings are held in many parts of
the country.

Many cities have public ceremonies for kindling the Jewish
Hanukkah<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowruz>lights, and it is
customary in many Jewish American circles to invite
non-Jews to Passover Seders
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passover_Seder>(which will happen again
very soon). In areas with high Muslim
concentration, it is not uncommon for non-Muslims to be invited to
break-fast gatherings, especially on Eid
ul-Fitr<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eid_ul-Fitr>(عيد الفطر
*‘Īdu l-Fiṭr*).

Some ethnic or religious community do not celebrate their special days as
publicly. For instance, several years ago I attended a local Polish
gathering that had been announced as open to the public, and I and my
company were made to feel thoroughly unwelcome.

Regards and best wishes,

Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com