LL-L "Traditions" 2012.03.22 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 22 17:59:04 UTC 2012

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mike Morgan mwmbombay at gmail.com

Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2012.03.21 (02) [EN]

Ingmar!

Not sure which is considered actual New Year Day, but the official Afghani
New Year holiday is 20-23 March (which i think also applied to Iran).

The woman belongs to the group of Naqvi Sayeds (< Sayyid, plural *Sadat*)
who are those (mostly South Asians) who claim descent from the Prophet
(PBUH) through Ali Naqi Al-Hadi the 10th Twelver Shi'a Imam (whose son was
Sayed, hence the 2nd part of the name).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syeds_Naqvi

(genetic work I have seen however does not quite match with the claim)

Ingmar wrote:
According to a woman from Afghanistan I know, whom I spoke with very
briefly today, Nowruz was yesterday, so the 20th instead of 21st of March.
her group, whose name I forgot, I think something with Sadat in it, claims
to be of Arab descendance. They speak Dari as their mother language.

mwm || *U* C > || mike || мика  || माईक || マイク || மாய்க் (aka Dr Michael W
Morgan)
sign language linguist / linguistic typologist at large / "Have
language(s), will travel"

*"If one has no affection for a person or a system, one should feel free to
give the fullest expression to his disaffection so long as he does not
contemplate, promote, or incite violence." (MKG)
"You assist an unjust administration most effectively by obeying its orders
and decrees. An evil administration never deserves such allegiance.
Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil.* *A good person will resist
an evil system with his whole soul. Disobedience of the laws of an evil
state is therefore a duty." (MKG)*
been there, done that...

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com