LL-L "Names" 2012.03.26 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 26 18:19:29 UTC 2012

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Luc Vanbrabant lucv32 at gmail.com
 Subject: LL-L "Names" 2012.03.19 (03) [EN]

Dear Tomás,

I looked for your name in my dictionary of family names in Belgium and
Northern France, and this is what I found. I think it might be related:

*Kenzeler / Kenzeleer / Kanzler / Känzler* ( Dutch: kanselier - from Latin
cancellarius )
Oppenheim ( J.K. Brechenmacher: Etymologisches Wörterbuch der deutschen
Familienamen, Limburg an der Lahn, 1957 )
So these names are mentioned as  German names.
There are also names like...
*Kienzel / Kintzele*   These come from Künzel / Kunzel, diminutive from
Kunz / Konrad
 ( patr. dial. from Zwaben )

Groetjes,
Luc Vanbrabant
Oekene Belgium

 From: Toms Ó Cárthaigh tomasocarthaigh at yahoo.com

Subject: LL-L "Family Names: Kinseller" [EN]

I am writing to query knowledge of the name Kinseller and its variants. On
Google it comes across as being a French name, but I think it also may have
been a Palatine name.

As those who have read previous posts of mine know, Im researching my
family tree and have always thought there was a German connection. A lot of
sacred cows of family legends have turned to dust so far, though one that
resonates is a connection with Germans.

The latest twist in this saga was a woman who lived next door to my mother
who came from Edgeworthstown in Co. Longford in Ireland, who thought her
family was related to ours. Then she strangely said that her family name
Kinsella used to be German.

Now Kinsella is a true and true Irish name, so it is a soundalike name, and
the only one I could come up with was Giselle, a French name, but yes,
sometimes from the Palatine area.

Then it struck me how the father used to always mispronounce Kinsella as
Kinseller, and on thinking of that, I promptly done a Google search on the
name, and keep coming up with a French connection.

So, if anyone can come up with Kinseller names with a German connection
that would be brilliant, and if anyone can tie this to Ireland, that would
be even better!!!

Tomás Ó Cárthaigh

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com