LL-L "Language politics" 2012.05.18 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 18 19:24:46 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 18 May 2012 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Paul Finlow-Bates wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk
 Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2012.05.17 (03) [EN]

Hi Mark,

Two reasons really;

1) It hampers learning other languages.  With the best will in the world,
at beginner level anyone I attempt to speak to will probably speak English
better than I speak their language and will soon switch just for
convenience.  Even at a more advanced level, people are so bent on learning
the World Language, they'd rather take the opportunity to practice with a
native speaker. There are exceptions - German speakers will let you battle
on until you get stuck, then put you right. The other extreme are
Scandinavians; any of my attempts to speak Danish or Swedish are virtually
ignored.

2) Culturally. If you speak Finnish, you're most likely a Finn; likewise
for Japanese, Italian, Zulu or Dutch.  Even German is dominantly spoken by
specific nationalities. Around 400 million people speak English and another
600 million think they can.  About 5% of those are actually English (we're
mostly in the second category :D). I don't even have an identifiable
regional dialect like the Geordies or Scousers.  The nearest comparison I
can think of is Spanish, where Spanish people are also a minority of the
language's speakers. I'm curious to know how they feel.

All in all, I look forward to Global Mandarin.

Paul