LL-L "Grammar" 2012.11.02 (04) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 2 22:58:24 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 02 November 2012 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming sandy at scotstext.org

Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2012.11.01 (04) [EN]

From: Mike Morgan mwmbombay at gmail.com

> Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2012.11.01 (02) [EN]
>
> hills. I also don't know how common double modals are among BRITISH
> dialects of English south of the Scottish border, but I have a general
> theory, based on the fact that so many of what I have seen described
> as peculiar "Indianisms" in fact have parallels in the American
> Appalachian English I grew up hearing each summer ... and also out of
> the mouths of my parents each day. The SE was settled early on by
> large numbers of Protestant Scots and Irish -- presumably many if not
> most of whom were Scots speakers. So my theory is that Indian English
> is kindred, due to the "fact' that the British Raaj occupiers were
> also largely made up of Scots... but then maybe that is just an image
> I have from the movie "Gunga Din" of Scotsmen marching to bagpipes
> against the 1867 "mutineers". ;-)

Mike,

I use double modals when speaking Scots: it's more usual towards the south
of the country, I believe.

It seems to be the sort of thing that some speakers do and some don't. I'd
guess that, like double negatives, some avoid them because they've heard
that they're somehow not correct.

To me they give a definite power of expression and brevity, so I'm not
giving them up!

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com