LL-L "Pronouns" 2012.11.18 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 18 14:25:49 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 18 November 2012 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Pat Barrett pbarrett at cox.net
Subject: LL-L "Pronouns" 2012.11.17 (01) [EN]

My family on my mom’s side were from West Virginia and they never said
“y’all”; it was something they thought of as Southern and they joked about
it. I vaguely recall some people saying  something like “you’uns” but I
interpreted it as “young uns”, or maybe “young ones” IS what I was hearing.
I’m not sure and no one from that side is left to ask.
Pat Barrett

----------

From: Mike Morgan mwmbombay at gmail.com

David wrote, regarding the "proper" 2nd person plural pronoun:

> If we
> were to have a standard form of the language, wouldn't "you'uns" and the
> delightful "us'uns" be preferred?

well,  depends on HOW one decides on the Standard form? Do we go with
most geographically widespread? used by the largest numbe rof
speakers? form from the most prestigious dialect? But where exactly is
that in the Appalchians? I am pretty sure every self respecting
Southerner (or Applachian) feels HIS'N (or HER'N) dialect is the best
;-)

As the last volume of the Dictionary of American Regionalisms is now
finally out (earlier this year), perhaps wwoudl be interestign to see
what it says... although here in Kathmandu, I don't have access to a
copy ;-)

Here's an article on the dictionary completion (which mentions, but
does not solve the you all vs y'all vs you'uns vs yunz vs youse vs you
guys question)

http://www.thestate.com/2012/02/26/2167570/dictionary-of-american-regional.html#.UKjYJ4ZLwlI

A bit more dated, but here is what it says in Raymond Hickey's chapter
in Irma Taavitsainen and Andreas H. Jucker's Diachronic Perspectives
on Adress Term Systems (p 357)

"In the section on Scotch-Irish grammatical features, Montgomery notes
"The pronoun you'uns 'you' (plural) ... as in 'you'uns make yourselves
at home', was found by Kurath 'in the folk speech in Pennsylvania west
of the Susquehanna, in large parts of West Virginia, and in the
westernmost parts of Virginia and North Carolina' (Kurath 19549:67)

from:
http://books.google.com.np/books?id=4zocJp7ZCJ0C&pg=PA357&lpg=PA357&dq=y%27all+us%27uns+you%27uns&source=bl&ots=cXjoR0m_Q9&sig=DqWCwd83G0hkBvIrUqrr-X_7NNw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=P9eoUOaTMIO6iQf7p4DADg&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=y%27all%20us%27uns%20you%27uns&f=false

Says "large parts of W Virginia", but not how large or which ones.

> This book is based on the West Virginia Appalachian
> dialect. Perhaps, that is different from the East Tennessee and Western
> North Carolina dialects I am familiar with.

I am not exactly the best judge in that I grew up all over the lower
49 (and so readily accept ALL 2nd plural pronouns as okay.,.. and
might would even use half of them myself given a chance!). My exposure
was only when we visited each summer growing up (though I did live in
peripheral areas for a couple pre-teen years: 11 months in the Florida
Panhandle and 15 months in Fayetteville NC, albeit on an army base).

My father, though, is from West Virginia (Davy, WV, a small coal
mining town -- got it's picture in Life magazine back in the 60s for
the "World's longest flowerbox"), but doesn't really have -- to my ear
-- a Southern or Apallachian dialect AT ALL. My mother, on the other
hand, is from Ferrum, Virginia (near Rocky Mount, though NOT the Rocky
Mount of Andy Griffith fame.. that was Rocky Mt, NC), and she clearly
has retained her dialect throughout her life whereever we lived (and
she continues to maintain it, though that is easy as they retired to
Stedman, a village outside Fayetteville NC). Can't say if my dad uses
a plural form and if he does which one (I am relying on memory), but
my mom definitely does: and it is y'all.

Y'all have a nice day now, y'hear!

mwm || *U*C> || mike || माईक || мика || マイク (aka Dr Michael W Morgan)
sign language linguist / linguistic typologist
academic adviser, Nepal Sign Language Training and Research
NDFN, Kathmandu, Nepal

From: Mike Morgan mwmbombay at gmail.com

An' I reckon y'all might enjoy readin' this here article from West
Virginia History magazine on the dialect:

http://www.wvculture.org/history/journal_wvh/wvh30-2.html

(though nothing I saw regarding the you'uns vs y'all controversy)