LL-L "Etymology" 2012.10.01 (04) [EN-IS]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 2 04:35:01 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 01 October 2012 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Veturlidi Oskarsson veturlidi.oskarsson at nordiska.uu.se

Subject: LL-L "Administrativia" 2012.10.01 (01) [EN]

Dear friends:

what do we know about the the word MLG "wambeis", used about a sort of a
jacket, in the 15th century and probably before and after. Schiller &
Lübben 5:581 have the forms wambōs, wambois, wambes, wambus och
wammis; in Dutch the forms wambuis and the shortening buis are found, I
think, and the meaning is ’shirt’ or something like that. I would
especially be intrested in such shortened forms, "buis", "bois" etc. Do
they exist, are they still in use, are they Dutch or Low German? Who uses
them? Are they used of fisherman clothes etc.

Thank you,

Veturliði Óskarsson
Uppsala

(P.s.: what is best for me to write in the Subject field when I send
mails?)

-----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hæ, kæru Veturliði!

Velkomin á Lowlands-L! Þakka þér fyrir að fyrstu skilaboð til þessa hóps.

The subject label depends on your topic, of course. We have certain
standard labels that you will learn as you follow along. I am always open
to creating new ones.

If in doubt, please just add your *suggested* subject label to your posting
submission. I may adopt it or I may substitute for it.

The most important thing is that you stick with *one* topic per submission.
If two or more topics are not intimately intertwined, please divide them up
into separate submissions.

If in doubt, please read the rules and guidelines:
http://lowlands-l.net/rules.php

I am very happy to see you come on board, and I am sure I am not the only
Lowlander who is.

Seattle, USA

P.S.: Our existing Icelandic version of the Low Saxion (Low German) fable (
http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/islenska.php) is yearning for an audio
file to go with it. Alternative Icelandic versions would be appreciated
also. No pressure, but ... if you or fellow-Icelanders you know could
oblige, that would be terrific.

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com