LL-L "Etymology" 2012.10.02 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 2 23:44:52 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 02 October 2012 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2012.10.01 (04) [EN-IS]

After doing a little searching online, I think the best English translation
for “wambuis” would be either “jerkin” or “doublet.” But that doesn’t
really help with the etymology.

Kevin Caldwell
Laurel, MD, USA

----------

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net

Ah, here’s a clue: the English word “gambeson” is related, and the
connection seems to be OHG *wamba*, “stomach, belly” (related to “womb”).

http://useful_english.enacademic.com/213186/gambeson

Kevin Caldwell
Laurel, MD, USA

From: M.-L. Lessing marless at gmx.de

Hello all,

a term still very common colloquial in Germany is "Wampe" for the belly,
especially the belly of a man, especially if it is somewhat considerable
:-)

Hartlich!

Marlou